Here’s what you’ll need to drive in QLD
- Have a smartphone, mobile number and email address
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or otherwise have the right to work in Australia
- Have held an unrestricted Australian driver’s licence for at least 12 months
- Have an ABN and be GST-registered
- Hold a Driver Authority of Type BHTX, TAXI or LIMO
- Be listed as the insured driver on the insurance
- Complete the mandatory driver training
Vehicles must meet the state government’s requirements and be in excellent condition, free of damage and decals. The vehicle must:
- be no more than ten years
- have a minimum of 4 doors
- seat a minimum of 4 passengers
- seat a maximum of 6 passengers
- not be an ex-taxi
- pass an inspection in the past 12 months *Exempt for a new vehicle registered within 12 months
- be covered by a third-party or comprehensive insurance
- hold a Booked Hire Service Licence (BHSL)
- Profile Picture
You must submit a clear photo of yourself (in JPG, JPEG, PNG format, at least 200 x 200 pixels). The image you submit will be displayed as your profile picture for riders to verify with you.
You will need to submit a copy of your current driver’s licence. You must have held an open, unrestricted driver’s licence (Australian or overseas) continuously for 12 months.
You will need to provide an alternative ID (other than your driver’s licence), such as a valid passport, Immi card, Australian or NZ birth certificate or citizenship certificate.
- Driver Authority (DA)
We accept BHTX, TAXI*, LIMO* Driver Authority. Please note that TAXI and LIMO are being transitioned to BHTX. You may apply for one here. Please note that you must pass a medical examination, criminal history check, and driving history check to apply for a DA.
- Booked Hire Service Licence (BHSL)
You will need to submit a current Booking Hire Service Licence. You can apply for one here. Please note that to apply for a BHSL, your vehicle must:
– be registered in Queensland with the appropriate purpose of use (POU)
– have a current certificate of inspection (COI), unless exempt
- Certificate of Inspection (COI)
Your vehicle must be inspected every 12 months. You will need to submit a current Certificate of Inspection issued by an Approved Inspection Station (AIS) or a TMR Inspection Site. For more information, please visit.
If your vehicle is a brand-new vehicle registered within 12 months, you do not need to pass a vehicle inspection for the first year of the vehicle’s registration. Please provide a screenshot of your vehicle registration details by clicking here.
- CTP Insurance
You must declare that you hold the correct compulsory third party (CTP) insurance (class 26 or 4). For more information on this, please visit the TMR QLD website.
- Declare Your Vehicle Insurance
You will need to declare that your vehicle is appropriately insured. Your vehicle must have current third-party damage or comprehensive insurance cover, on which you should be listed as an insured driver.
- Mandatory Driver Training
From 1 August 2019, all booked hire vehicle drivers in QLD must complete anti-discrimination and disability awareness training. If you haven’t already, you can complete our training online here.
To be able to pick up riders from Brisbane Airport, you must hold an E-Tag. We accept E-Tags provided by the following companies: Linkt, RTA, RMS and Eway Interlink. If you have an E-Tag, please upload an image clearly showing the tag number on the side of the device.
If you do not have an E-Tag, you may either:
1) Register for one at https://d.Turvyglobal.com/linkt or
2) Upload a note stating, “I do not have an E-Tag and acknowledge that without one, I cannot pick up riders at Brisbane Airport” that includes a date and your signature.
Please allow up to 3 business days for us to review your application. Once your application is approved, we will activate your account, and you can start earning!
You must place:
– 1 x sticker on the bottom of the front windscreen on the passenger’s side
– 1 x sticker on the bottom of the rear windscreen on the passenger’s side
More information can be found at https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/business-industry/Taxi-and-limousine/Industry-information/Booked-hire/Signage-requirements-for-ride-booking-vehicles
After your registration is approved, you will receive 2 x self-adhesive Turvy Stickers by post. Most states and territories’ regulations require that you display signs indicating that the vehicle is being used to provide passenger services. Penalties may apply if you do not comply with such requirements. Please visit the link below or contact your state or territory’s regulatory authority for more information about signage.
All information contained on this page has been compiled for your information only. Nothing on this page is intended to constitute legal advice and should be relied upon. Whilst all information contained herein has been prepared with care, Turvy does not make any representation or warranty regarding the accuracy or currency of the information provided and does not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions. You should conduct your inquiries as to the accuracy of the information provided.